To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

Thanks Soraiya,

As always your guides are first rate... :)

Suspect

Hello all,

I have the following problem: port forwarding is "shielded". I don't quite understand what happend, I have the following setting:

Zyxel (ADL modem/router)

Linksys WRT54G ("bridging" router)

PC: Windows XP Media Centre

Now I opened all ports on my Firewall and on both routers and it still doesn't work.

Any idea?

Edited by timovandon (see edit history)

It's very dangerous and very foolish to try to solve the problem that way. You only need your listen port open. Opening all the others just invites infection and solves nothing.

If you've got the port open on the firewall(s) you know about, then it follows that there's another firewall somewhere that you don't know about, and have to find. It may be software running on your computer, it may be that your internet service has you behind a firewall you don't control. You'll need to find out.

Hi everybody!! Well i've followed everything to the letter to forward a port and everything is cool until i put my default gateway in my browser and go to my router where it askes me for my user name and password but when i enter it, it say's that it's incorrect!!! Can someone just confirm for me that the details i'm being asked for is my usual e-mail account details as i've never set any other password or user name other than the details i use to retreive my e-mails. Cheers.

Sorry, with all ports I meant all necessary ports for BitComet. So my listening port is open on my windows firewall. I am a medium computer nerd, so know bits of it and I am positive as to not having another firewall on my computer.

Could there be any other reason?

My computer also runs as a server and that website is findable through Internet and works, so for some reason that part does work.

Hi everybody!! Well i've followed everything to the letter to forward a port and everything is cool until i put my default gateway in my browser and go to my router where it askes me for my user name and password but when i enter it, it say's that it's incorrect!!! Can someone just confirm for me that the details i'm being asked for is my usual e-mail account details as i've never set any other password or user name other than the details i use to retreive my e-mails. Cheers.

You are being asked to log in to the router itself, as a security measure. The correct username and password are specified in your router's manual.

If you had specified what the router make and model are, you could easily find the manual on line and find out what the default login is. So can any/every one else. That means that as soon as you find the login, and you do get logged into the router, the first thing you need to do is change the name and password to something you will remember and others don't know.

If you don't do that, then anybody can find out how to log in to the router, and they can change the login to something only they know, thus locking you out of your own router. That would be pretty embarrassing.

Sorry, with all ports I meant all necessary ports for BitComet. So my listening port is open on my windows firewall. I am a medium computer nerd, so know bits of it and I am positive as to not having another firewall on my computer.

Could there be any other reason?

My computer also runs as a server and that website is findable through Internet and works, so for some reason that part does work.

Then it's extremely likely your ISP has you behind a firewall, to cut down on hacking attempts on your server. If you have a machine with a clean new installation of windows, you can use that to probe the listen port (assuming you know what you're doing and have adjusted the XP firewall). If that one still shows that it's blocked, the ISP firewall is a near certainty.

In this case, the answer may be as simple as asking them to open your listen port.

Sorry to bother everyone again but i have done all the portfowarding stuff and i've checked if my port is open, which it is, and my download speeds where great. The thing is that when i first turned my computer on again this morning i checked if BitComet was still useing the same port but it wasn't, it had gone back to the port that i had changed it from. Everything else is the same like the static i.p and that but the thing is the port had changed. Could someone offer me some advice and possible solutions please? Thanks to everyone. ;)

I'm useing BitComet 0.70 on Windows XP Pro SP2.

BC's settings are stored in the file, "bitcomet.xml" in the program directory. When changes fail to save, it's usually because this file is set to "read-only", or because you don't have write permission in that directory. Check both.

hi im a newbie here n fairly new to using bitcomet

my dl speed has been depressingly low for wks - ~0-1KB/s while the upload speed goes up to 15KB/s

tried gg thru the portforwarding n static ip procedures but it still reads failed when i test my port.

im a lil confused over this instruction over at portforwarding.com - "Open a web browser like internet explorer or Netscape. Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser. In the picture above the address bar has http://www.google.com in it. Just replace all of that with the ip address of your router. By default the ip address should be set to 172.16.0.1. "

is that when we enter our static ip?

cause when i tried entering the ip add i took down frm the cmd, the page cannot be opened.

so i entered my DNS servers no instead and i finally got the page dey showed.

i followed all the steps but when i checked if the port is opened or not, it says 'Your computer at I.P 219.74.98.xxx FAILED". the problem is that is not my ip add nor the DNS server no that i entered in the first place.

btw, im running on 2wire 2700GH modem/router directly connected to just one laptop, windowXP SP2. bitcomet 0.60. the port no is 60005.

i'd appreciate any help from you experts! :) thanks

First you should upgrade to bitcomet v0.70 (link in my sig)

Dont get the newer versions yet

so going to this address didnt open your router's setup page

http://172.16.0.1

(you should be able to just click on this and it will open your router setup page)

The computer ip 219.x.x.x is the public ip address that your ISP gives to your modem/router

Then your router gives your computer a private ip address something like 172.16.0.x

This private ip address is the one that you want to make static in windows tcpip properties

Other than that just follow portforward.com's guide

Hello again Inet gurus. I was recently here, trying to sort things out (posts #147-150). Still no luck. I followed the portforwarding and static ip instructions to the T, without trouble, but still low I/O rates (~30kb/s). When I check my port, it says not open. Can anyone suggests a course of action?

Im using XP, SP2, BitComet .81, and tried connecting with/without Windows firewall, and with/without my Belkin F5D7230-4 router. I don't have any other firewalls. Any ideas?

Thanks

First get things working without the router. Set your IP to dynamic, connect directly to the modem, turn Windows firewall on, and open your listen port on the firewall. Also check the firewall to make sure BitComet is allowed. Then start BitComet, and check your listen port again.

If the port is not open, then you are behind another firewall which you will need to find. It may be a software firewall that you aren't aware of. Many security programs like Norton, Trend Micro and NVidia also contain firewalls. You need to make certain that you aren't running another software firewall.

It may be a hardware firewall, because you're behind someone else's router that you don't control. This is more common in dormitories, apartments and businesses that provide internet service for the whole building. Some other types of connections also do this. One indication is to look at the dynamic IP that was assigned to your computer in this configuration. If it's in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, or the 192.168.xxx.xxx range, then you're probably behind a router. If it isn't, that doesn't mean you are not. So you will need to research the details of your internet service to find out.

Thank you for the info. I am probably behind another router, as my address is 192.168.... I talked to my DSL ISP, and they said they have a router at their place, so that may be my problem. I will try your other suggestions soon though. By the way, I switched to BitComet .7, without effect.

Hello Sirs - I tried what you suggested, took out the router, etc. without luck. I guess there is another hardware firewall, as I can't find any other software firewalls. I don't see any hardware firewalls on my end, either. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Unless your ISP is willing to open a port for you, or has a port they don't block, there's not much you can do.

They may allow port 80 through, since it's usually used for web servers. If you aren't running a web server yourself, try using 80 as your listen port and see if it works.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, new to this!!

need help.....have read all pages relating to my prob.

port is not open.... its stealth how do i open it?

i have a zyexel 2602 hwl-61c router .... which is not listed at (port forward) however there is a listing for zyexel 2602 hwl-61, is there a difference?

i have set up my static ip... its working and dosent change.

using windows xp pro, sp2 and windows firewall disabled.

using kerio firewall.

i am on a 512/64 package

only once in 12 months have i reached max down load at an average of about 48k all other times average is about 12k.

thanks

Hi, I'm new here. I have a few question regarding ip address. My ip address is 10.0.0.8 and not as usual like 192.168.1.1 and my DNS & Gateway is 10.0.0.2. Is it normal having that kind of ip address? I'm using Aztech DSL305EW. Usually it is ok when using bitcomet but now its to very hard to download using bitcomet eventhough there are many seed/peer. Is it because of earthquake at Taiwan recently? Below is the result when testing with Shields Up.

Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet!

Preliminary Internet connection refused!

This is extremely favorable for your system's overall Windows File and Printer Sharing security. Most Windows systems, with the Network Neighborhood installed, hold the NetBIOS port 139 wide open to solicit connections from all passing traffic. Either this system has closed this usually-open port, or some equipment or software such as a "firewall" is preventing external connection and has firmly closed the dangerous port 139 to all passersby. (Congratulations!)

Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

Hopefully all expertise can help me. TQ

i downloaded PFConfig from portforward.com, i just want to know what values i enter in the tcp port and the udp port sections, in the bitcomet preferences page the listen port is set at 49155.

also what is the recommended value for the new half open limit in bitcomet, i read somewhere it should be something like 80.

thank you