To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

ok, any smart way to check which firewalls are in place? Am really at a loss here...am using Norton antivirus but personal firewall has bitcomet configured.

And checked the firewall in my router - it is switched off!?

With Norton make sure that Bitcomet is added as an exception in the Worm Control settings. You dont have to do any configuration with the windows firewall Bitcomet will do it for you automagically (if you have the option checked in Bitcomet's preferences).

And you should not turn off the firewall in your router for any reason. It sounds like your router may be the problem with your slow speeds. You need to re-enable its firewall and make a rule in it to forward bitcomet's port through the router to your computer.

here i have a few question

1. i go http://canyouseeme.org/ and check my port see whether is open or not but it say Error: I could not see your service on 60.53.198.XX on port (65123)

Reason: Connection timed out dunno why

2. how to set the static ip??? izit check from the run>cmd>ipconfig/all then copy the ip and past in tcp/ip properties???

3. i using aztech DSL 605EW all in one router and should i manually port forward or checked the UpnP in bitcomet??

4. if manually set the port forward and which port start , port end and port maping should i put?

5. where can i find the port??

6. i follow all the step that teach how to set bitcomet and i still getting yellow light

7. can anyone teach me in detail ???

8. i get all the local peer but i did not get any remote peer

before i set the bitcomet i getting so so speed only but after i set the bitcomet i getting the worse speed although the speed got more than 400

1. Still something blocking your port

2. Yes, you need to copy down the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS servers. Also while you're in TCP/IP properties, you might as well click on Advanced and then under the WINS tab Uncheck Enable LMHOSTS lookup.

3. Try UPnP first and, if it works, use that cause its easier. If it doesnt work then go into your router and manually forward Bitcomet's port to your PC, and Uncheck UPnP in bitcomet's options

4. port start: bitcomets port | port end: bitcomets port | port mapping: bitcomets port

5. It is the port Bitcomet uses and you can find it in the first screen of Bitcomet's options

6. You must have done a step wrong

7. Maybe

8. Then something is still blocking your port, most likely it is your router.

thx now my port is green light already

but i get 30kb -80kb and i cant get 100kb+ anymore

when my port is block i get 150kb+ when i dl until 70% but when it dl until 90% the speed down to below 10kb

if i set the static ip will i get faster dl speed???

I've been reading all the posts in this topic this past few days and most of the posts in this forum and I really appreciate what you've done here guys.

Just this morning I finally managed to get my listen port to turn green (thanks Soraiya). I skipped the part about Static IP because I when I set it to a static IP I can no longer connect to the internet. Currently I set it to obtain an IP address automatically because I noticed that I always get the same IP no matter how many times I shut down my PC.

I am using BitComet 0.90 and I have a Prolink H9200P router. When I do the speed check I get about 55kB/s download on average, but the speed test site doesn't give me any info about my upload speed so I'm thinking it's about 10kB/s so I set my Global Max Upload rate to 8kB/s.

Last night (when I still had no listen port) I downloaded an 8Gig torrent and found that some of the peers had their Peer Downloads at about 3,000+ kB/s to 10,000+ kB/s. I'm using public (I'm not sure about this) because I do not know how private trackers work.

Please be patient with me because I am a totally big noob..

1. Is it really possible to get those very high download speeds?

2. If so, are they obtainable only with private trackers?

3. Since I only have a download speed of about 50+ kB/s, can I reach a torrent download speed higher than that? Say, about 100kB/s ~ 200kB/s?

Thank you so much ^_^

Hi,

You can run a speed test that reports upload and download at...

http://speedtest.net

I suggest you run several tests on several different servers, making sure all programs using the net are shut off, including other computers sharing router.

Record the highest results and use them for your calculations.

As for your download speeds, they will reflect your ability to upload, but sometimes you may see your download speed running close to your max line speed.

You will NEVER get more download speed then your Isp provides.

I've tried it on speedtest.net and it says 500~kbps and 80~110 kbps.

My average download speed (not torrent) is still about 50~kB/s so does this mean that as long as I leech a torrent at the max speed of about 50kB/s (my average torrent dl speeds are about 50~kB/s) I don't have to join any private tracker cause any excess speed would have just been wasted? I wish I could reach those Peer Download speeds of 1000's... *sigh*

Oh and I have another question. I use BitComet 0.90. The message "BitComet detected Half-Open Limit" keeps popping up. Currently the Half-Open Limit is set at 10. I've read Dark Shroud's post regarding this and it says it's normal to just keep this at 10. Should I do anything about this or should I just ignore this? Cause it keeps on popping up..

Once again thank you very much.

I agree that popup is annoying, but I don't get it because I'm still using service pack one. We are looking into disabling it, so look for a pinned post regarding this in the future.

As for your speedtest. Are you reporting the speed in "b" bits, or "B" Bytes? the upper case B is what bittorrent uses, and the lower case b is what your isp uses. 8b=1B

If your max upload is 110kb/s, then you need to divide it by 8 to convert to bits...

so your max upload would be about 13 or 14.

80% of this would be 11kB/s, which would be a good globalupload limit. However, besure your measurement was actually in "b" as you report, or you will be hurting your download speeds.

You can also confirm by observing your upload when set to unlimited. If this test is accurate, you should never see it go above 15, and will mostly run about 13ish.

Your max download can safely be set a unlimited. You may see speeds approaching 60kB/s, but it will be more common to see the speeds more closely resemble your upload speed.

ps. by todays standards, your broadband is slow, so your not going to get the speeds you desire unless you can get a faster service.

haha yes, I've been thinking about switching to a faster connection.

In regards to the speed test, yep I'm sure about the download and upload speeds. So I guess I'll just have to wait for the next update to remove this popup. By the way are those Peer Download numbers accurate?

Well anyways thanks for the info and the quick replies. ^_^

Hi, I'm not sure if your referring to the total downloaded by a peer, or their speed, or what they downloaded from you.

I would have to see a screenshot of what your referring to.

As for speeds, I have one of the fastest connections, and I have seen speeds of 1969kB/s steady when downloading Open Office torrent, and Ubuntu Linux torrent.

Some users have a dedicated server, or seedbox (a rented internet server), which often provide 100mb/s, which could get speeds over 10,000kB/s, but this is not a home internet connection.

I meant those under the Peer Download tab, the one next to the Initiation. So those high speeds are dedicated servers? Oh.

Is that 1969kB/s speed you referred to yours? Could I ask, how much your download and upload speeds are when you run speed test. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I just wanted to have an idea. Perhaps when I upgrade my connection.

Well anyway thanks for answering all my questions man. Now I know that my limited download speed is just from my broadband service. Thought at first that the huge bandwidth payment plans were too much just for home use. I think I better get a faster one now. lol.

Hi,

My current max download speed is about 15,000kb/s, and upload is 2,000kb/s

I can change the speed to 30,000 and 5,000, but will increase my monthly bill. The prices in US dollars are about $45 and $169 respectively. I can also set speed to 5,000/2,000 at a cost of $35.

This service isn't available in most areas

Hey there guys.

Im pretty new to torrents and have had alot of issues with getting any good speeds (nothing over 25kb/s) when downloading torrents, obviously becoz I hadnt had Port Forwarding and Static IP setup.

Well I read all the steps to setting it up using my DLink DI-524 router and Ive gone over it twice now and everything appears correct.

Im running the new Windows Vista Ultimate and the only Firewall present is the Windows Firewall and Ive enabled both TCP and UDP ports 57536 for BitComet to have exceptions.

I go to that site where u test it and its saying that its Stealth and not detecting any activity through that port at all.

I chose port 57536 as its between the ones stated for maximum speed downloads. Its the only port Im using, I dont use anything else at the moment with ports.

Can someone assist me in what could be the problem here as I still have a yellow light and a Blocked IP for listening port =[

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Have you checked the guides at portforward.com?

I have used this router, and it works quite well. Also, either make sure bitcomet is set to open your listening port in your windows firewall, or check the instructions in our guides section.

You can also try connecting direct to your modem (bypass router) to be sure the problem is the router, not your firewall.

Also, dlink tech support is pretty good, and has been very helpful when I've called them.

Hi,

Have you checked the guides at portforward.com?

I have used this router, and it works quite well. Also, either make sure bitcomet is set to open your listening port in your windows firewall, or check the instructions in our guides section.

You can also try connecting direct to your modem (bypass router) to be sure the problem is the router, not your firewall.

Also, dlink tech support is pretty good, and has been very helpful when I've called them.

Thankyou for your reply mate

And yeh I setup my Static IP and port forward for my router, exactly as in your guides and have checked over everything several times.

I cant connect to just my modem as its connection is in the kitchen and I dont have a long enough lead to reach so that is out of the question.

Ive checked all my Firewall settings and enabled open ports for both TCP and UDP for the bitcomet port.

I really dont know what else I can do besides give Dlink Tech Support a call if thats what u suggest coz everything seems right.

And if they cant help me? I guess torrentz arent for me =[

Ok guys it seems like things are progressing =]

I contacted Dlink Tech Support and they told me to change my modem settings to Full Bridge then run PPoE from the router, with my ISP user settings in there. I then ran another port test at https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 , however it still states that its unreachable and in Stealth mode.

Anyways I thought well why not give BitComet a try and see what it does now. BAM green light and says WAN (my IP) so Im guessing thats what it should be like now? Im not noticing an overly great difference in speed just yet but im hoping it will pick up.

Im recieving downloadsnow from Remote users so that should be right now? Any idea why its still stating as stealth mode when i run that test?

Thanks mate, its saying its open now so everything is pretty much all sweet.

Only problem now is when I have BitComet running downloading and uploading (only 1 file) the rest of my connection such as just normal browsing is as slow as a wet wick. It hardly moves =[

Is something wrong with the way Ive set it up? What would be causing this? Coz as soon as I stop the file, its super fast browsing again.

That means your upload cap is probably too high (you need some of your upload bandwidth for browsing)

My settings guide tells you how to configure the Global Max Upload Rate. (link in my sig below)

Ok so I went to your guide and determined my Max Upload Rate to be 15kb/s. However it hasnt fixed my browsing problem when the file is downloading. It has boosted my download rate by about 10kb/s though, originally it was uploading at around 25kb/s.

Any other ideas? Becoz basically atm if I wanna browse and download a torrent, I have to choose which one is more important at the time =[

Another way to get to Network Connections is:

Click on Start -> Control Panels

Now,

If you are in Category View, click on "Network and Internet Connections"

then click on "Network Connections"

If you are in Classic View, simply doubleclick "Network Connections"

Once you get to Network connections then right click on the adapter that connects to the Internet (usually called Local Area Connection) and select Properties

then you should be able to follow the rest of the guide.

Ok so I went to your guide and determined my Max Upload Rate to be 15kb/s. However it hasnt fixed my browsing problem when the file is downloading. It has boosted my download rate by about 10kb/s though, originally it was uploading at around 25kb/s.

Any other ideas? Becoz basically atm if I wanna browse and download a torrent, I have to choose which one is more important at the time =[

The are a number of other things that can cause this.

1- Your global max connections is too high (try setting it at 120)

2- Your tcpip limit is being reached (if the half-open limit warning pops up then go ahead and click on it and change yours to 50, make sure the box is checked, then hit Apply, then restart)

3- Your hardware (router) doesn't handle the DHT Network properly which means you can't make DNS requests (ie browse websites)

I recommend you disable DHT (distributed hash table). This is only needed if the torrents tracker is offline (rarely), and requires alot more bandwidth then a normal bittorrent connection. Since your connection speed is on the low end (by todays standards), its going to be hard to have both efficient downloads and fast browsing.

First, just a little note about bittorrent. The "first rule" is the more you upload, the more you download. When we advise you to restrict your upload, to get more download, it contradicts this rule, but it is necessary in order to reply to requests timely. If you don't reply in time to a request, you will appear uninterested, and be ignored. The trick is to find how much you can upload before this happens. Our settings guide will help you find a "starting point", but only trial and error will find what works best for you. When you disable dht, you can raise your upload a bit.

Now, with that covered, you need to browse, and with bitcomet using 15kB/s of your max (25kB/s), leaving less then 10kB/s that can be used for browsing. Here is one method you can use, that will only take a few seconds when you want to browse. Simply lower your upload speed, try about half its current setting, and see if that helps, then restore the setting when your done browsing. With slower connections, this is really the only way to get both to work smoothly.

Also, when seeding only, you an set your upload higher, perhaps 22kB/s.

You might also want to up your setting closer to 20kB/s, assuming your max speed of 25 is accurate. I know it sounds like a pain to change it, perhaps several times a day, but it will become very easy when you get used to it, and the only alternative I can suggest is to upgrade your connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear staffs,

Hello. I'm having problems on port forwarding. I'm a Window XP user with ADSL connection and using BitComet 0.84. I finished setting up the static IP but I failed to go any steps further.

First of all, I don't seem to have a hardware router. The connection between my computer and the modem is done by another computer. I tried entering the router IP to a browser and the screen came out is completely different from those I saw in portforward.com. You can have a look in my attachment. I asked my Dad and he said we are using a software router. Here comes the problem. The "router computer" is a Linux Mandrake computer. I have no idea on how to make it forward a specific port. My Dad can do some command-lines so I'm hoping that I can have some general ideas on how to set the "router computer".

If any further information is needed, I'm willing to give. Thank you in advance!

Yours faithfully,

Loch

A desperate user

Hi,

Sorry for bothering but im having some troubles while doing the port forwading steps.

Before starting to explain, here is some of my info

1. Bitcomet 0.91

2. Window XP

3. Router DLink

The problem is that while following the guide for portforwarding,

i went to the following site http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...14/BitComet.htm

and for the last step, which is to go the my virtual server, i tried to follow but when i do apply, it says 'invalid private address'. And so i couldnt continue and then i have also check on the website you give if bitcomet port is open but status come out to be stealth.

Can you guide me sko to know what i should do, please?!

Thanks-

I'M HAVING A PROBLEM, WHEN I TYPE MY IP INTO THE ADDRESS BAR NOTHING SHOWS UP.

I TRIED USING THE DSN SERVER IP THE IP ADDRESS AND NOTHING WORKS.

im using windos vista

Modem - Arris TM502G

CA Anti Virus

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHY? THANKS IN ADVANCE.