To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

Hi! I am new to this whole idea of Port Forwarding, however I read in the earlier threads that

if UPnP is activated and working, then the manual setup of port forwarding is not required, I

am unsure if this is correct. However i am not getting more than 10kb/s and at any point in

time, more than 1 torrent is not downloading...Pls Help me regarding this issue....

First of all, I don't seem to have a hardware router. The connection between my computer and the modem is done by another computer. I tried entering the router IP to a browser and the screen came out is completely different from those I saw in portforward.com. You can have a look in my attachment. I asked my Dad and he said we are using a software router. Here comes the problem. The "router computer" is a Linux Mandrake computer. I have no idea on how to make it forward a specific port. My Dad can do some command-lines so I'm hoping that I can have some general ideas on how to set the "router computer".

Can't really tell anything from that attachment, since it's just your web server and not relevant to this problem.

I imagine from what you're saying, that you're sharing an internet connection off of the Linux box, though I can't quite understand why anyone would want to: you're using up cpu time to perform routing tasks that a simple, cheap $20 hardware box would perform for you better, faster, without putting an extra load on the other system and without having to deal with issues like this one. Me, I'd buy a router.

Hi,

Sorry for bothering but im having some troubles while doing the port forwading steps.

Before starting to explain, here is some of my info

1. Bitcomet 0.91

2. Window XP

3. Router DLink

The problem is that while following the guide for portforwarding,

i went to the following site http://www.portforward.com/english/routers...14/BitComet.htm

and for the last step, which is to go the my virtual server, i tried to follow but when i do apply, it says 'invalid private address'. And so i couldnt continue and then i have also check on the website you give if bitcomet port is open but status come out to be stealth.

Can you guide me sko to know what i should do, please?!

Thanks-

The private address it's asking for is the static IP that you were to set up in an earlier step, which you apparently skipped. Don't do that. That's why it tells you, in bold print, not to skip that step, yet so many people do.

Because you're using a router, you're now behind a subnet. That subnet has an IP block reserved for private subnets, namely 192.168.xxx.xxx So you need to set up your computer with a fixed address on that subnet.

You can open a port on your router, but for security reasons, you can only open that port to one specific address. That's so that any other computers that may be hooked to the router, don't have this vulnerable open port that they don't know about. So you must specify a particular address, and your computer must be AT that address for this all to work right.

Ok, so the router's IP address, on this private subnet, is 192.168.2.1. You can't use that address, it's taken already. Your subnet mask, 255.255.255.0, means you can only change the last number of the dotted quad - the first 3 must be the same. For your computer, you can select an IP of 162.168.2.2, or you could use 192.168.2.255, or anything in between those. Just choose one, there's no advantage to any particular one over another. Set it up as your computer's static IP following the site's instructions, and use that as the private IP address when setting up the router.

Mine says "Sleath" and not "closed, but is this basicially the same thing?

It might say "stealthed", or it might say "blocked", or it might say "I can't see your service", or who knows what else. Anything other than "yeah, it's open, I can see it", is bad news.

Hi! I am new to this whole idea of Port Forwarding, however I read in the earlier threads that

if UPnP is activated and working, then the manual setup of port forwarding is not required, I

am unsure if this is correct. However i am not getting more than 10kb/s and at any point in

time, more than 1 torrent is not downloading...Pls Help me regarding this issue....

This is what UPnP is *supposed* to do. A very few times, it actually even works. When it doesn't, or if it stops, it's impossible to diagnose or understand what's wrong. More often it simply doesn't work. If it does for you, great. But if there's ever a problem with it, best to just get it out of the picture and set things up manually, so you'll have some hope of figuring out any problems.

i did this guide and it worked wonder,but i'm having problems.

i'm using vista and at first the speed of my download when i did this guide was 700kBps

but when i turn the computer off and turned it back on, my internet connection was having problem and my downloads are now 35kBps average.

i tried to fallow every step again but every time when i do it, it disconnect my network from the internet and only gives me local access only.

and i have to remove the defines value that i gave and put it back to automatically get ip to get my connection back.

do anyone know whats going on ?

Can't really tell anything from that attachment, since it's just your web server and not relevant to this problem.

I imagine from what you're saying, that you're sharing an internet connection off of the Linux box, though I can't quite understand why anyone would want to: you're using up cpu time to perform routing tasks that a simple, cheap $20 hardware box would perform for you better, faster, without putting an extra load on the other system and without having to deal with issues like this one. Me, I'd buy a router.

Well, it was my Dad who set up the all the computers so I dont know......So there is nothing I can do except buying a real router? Any command lines I can enter to solve the problem?

Hi, I followed this guide with no problems until I got to the website and click my router and follow the instructions. I have Zoom X6 and on the Advanced Setup/Add Virtual Server page it says something about Internal IP Address and Protocol. How do I find out which Protocol I am? Sorry I am new to this so thank you so much!

You must not have read at all carefully then. The protocols you need are TCP and UDP. You need both. If you aren't offered an option to have both, then you need to make two rules, one for each.

i did this guide and it worked wonder,but i'm having problems.

i'm using vista and at first the speed of my download when i did this guide was 700kBps

but when i turn the computer off and turned it back on, my internet connection was having problem and my downloads are now 35kBps average.

i tried to fallow every step again but every time when i do it, it disconnect my network from the internet and only gives me local access only.

and i have to remove the defines value that i gave and put it back to automatically get ip to get my connection back.

do anyone know whats going on ?

Anyone please.....

I'm using

bitcomet 0.91

AVG antivirus (i think without firewall)

dl speed 250kB/sec (speed test)

listening port 50429

and i have tried port forwarding in my modem router and it is there

bitcomet is in my exception list of windows firewall

but my port is still closed (u shield test) i did run my bitcomet when i was doing the test and with yellow light (blocked)

i hav a static ip address either.

but my dl speed for bitcomet is just 3 to 15kB/sec with so many seeds and peers.

What can i do?

Secondly, i actually followed the stupid patch method to speed up my bitcomet by opening it to 80 from 10,

n it still did not work

after i found out that it is dangerous, i tried to change it back to 10

but i read from some of the post from the tech group saying the default for bc is 8/10 but bitcomet always asks me to bring it up to 10/10. Why?

Anyone please.....

I'm using

bitcomet 0.91

AVG antivirus (i think without firewall)

dl speed 250kB/sec (speed test)

listening port 50429

and i have tried port forwarding in my modem router and it is there

bitcomet is in my exception list of windows firewall

but my port is still closed (u shield test) i did run my bitcomet when i was doing the test and with yellow light (blocked)

i hav a static ip address either.

but my dl speed for bitcomet is just 3 to 15kB/sec with so many seeds and peers.

What can i do?

Secondly, i actually followed the stupid patch method to speed up my bitcomet by opening it to 80 from 10,

n it still did not work

after i found out that it is dangerous, i tried to change it back to 10

but i read from some of the post from the tech group saying the default for bc is 8/10 but bitcomet always asks me to bring it up to 10/10. Why?

Fianlly, my port appears to be "open"

by reinstall the bitcomet again

but tell you wat, my speed is still the same

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i have a static i.p, set the listening ports on my router, ports are set in windows firewall, done the port test and it is open. When i open BitComet 0.91 it says listening port "unknown" and "DHT connected node 0" the DHT circle is green tho. The listenin port was ok 1st time i opened it after setting it all up yesterday. Can u help me plz ty.

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have a big problem for my brain!

let me explain how i understand something....

my ISP service provider is automaticl assigning me an Ip adrees that after 24 hours changes.

I have a router that is cappable of port forwarding but it says in the manual that you must have a static ip privided by your ISP.

So i dont have a static IP provided by my ISP...

Problem is ..here...my bitcomet says to me when i put my mouse on a lttle picture on the wright.. it says in a bubble

(your listen port is unreachable to public domain peers, please check your firewall and NAT router settings)

i have only one computer in my house and one laptop so my router assigns always the same ip on my pc.. and my laptop..

can i do something to improve my speed and to resolve that bubble problem?

Thank you for all the help.

P.S. my routeris capable also of Demilitarised zone.. and port triggering.. and upnp...

Hello all.

I am having a problem with setting up port forwarding.

I have a netgear WGR614v6 router.

I followed the guides as suggested by this forum, all was going smoothly until the final step. Upon entering the server IP address provided by Portforward.com my router brings up the following error: 'server ip address must be LAN IP address' Failure. i have followed the guides exactley and am a little frustrated. any help will be greatfully recieved. :)

You're obviously attempting to enter an incorrect IP address. It should be the static IP that you set up earlier, in the portforward.com section that says, in bold print, not to skip that step. If you skipped it, you'll need to do that now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im in need of a bit of help. I have followed all the instructions up to the point where it says, "Next, Head to http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and locate your Router model/brand or one similar. Then, locate BitComet, and follow the instructions onscreen".

I can't seem to find my model of router, which i think is realtek (as said in the ipconfig/all description).

So i need to find a router that is similar to this one, but i don't know what im looking for.

Thanks for any help

The primary source for directions on this, is your router's manual. You need that manual. If you don't have it, you need to get it, order it from the manufacturer or download it from their website, but get it. The instructions at portforward amplify upon and illustrate, the instructions in your manual. They do NOT replace it. There is no substitute for reading the manual.

Hi Soraiya/BitComet Team

First thanks for the step by step set up. I am a new computer and BT user. I have followed every step and got a "passed" on grc test, but still getting blocked???

My system: XPHome; BT: BitComet 0.93; MS firewall & Norton auto protection & personal firewall: Disabled

BC Options:

Global Max Download: 1000

Global Max Upload: 40

Listen Port: 25219

Unticked Enable UPnP Port Mapping

The only difference setup is happened during Port Forwarding Procedure for my NetGear DG834. I was asked to enter one number for the static IP: 192.168.0.x, but my Default Gateway is 192.168.2.1

At the moment, on the firewall rules page of NetGear DG834 is showing the following:

Outbound Services

# Enable Service Name Action LAN Users WAN Servers Log

Default Yes Any ALLOW always Any Any Never

Inbound Services

# Enable Service Name Action LAN Server IP address WAN Users Log

1 BitCom1 ALLOW always 192.168.0.1 Any Always

Default Yes Any BLOCK always Any Any Never

Whenever I am trying to correct 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1, it tells me it's illegal IP address.

I have also listened to others and installed the 4226patch. How do I remove it from the system?

Moreover, I have made the "regedit" change (not sure below is of any help of increasing the speed?):

【Start】→【Execute】→【regedit】→【HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE】→【SOFTWARE】→【Policies】→【Microsoft】 →【Windows】add【Psched】folder,【Psched】add Dword value【NonBestEffortLimit】to【0】

Please help. Thanks in advance.

grassprawn from Mackay, AUS

hi... m new on this forum... i have a problem with bitcomet port forwarding....

i have forwarded my port... my listen port is 54444

i have forwarded the port as per port forwarding.com

i have increased the TCP limit to 80

i have setup a static ip address

i have green light in bitcomet

i get local as well has remote peers

my upload speed which i have set is30 KB/s

i havent checked my global download and upload speed...

the problem is i get a speed of 30KB/s - 50KB/s

m not get 150 or 200 or 300...

m using 54mbps WLAN

my router is linksys WRT54G

so can anyone pls pls pls tell me how do i get that much speed.