To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

Portforward is trying to write a set of very simpleminded guides that anyone can blindly follow without knowing what they're doing. Problem is that if there's any little difference, it doesn't work anymore. That's what you encountered. If a router's bios changes from the version that portforward's people looked at, or what the manual says, then the details can be different.

When you log in to your router to administer it, note the address that you use. There are two blocks of IP addresses that are reserved for private LANs, and your router probably uses one or the other of them. The first block is at 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (where x can be any number from 0 to 255), and the other one is at 192.168.xxx.xxx

Using that first block, a router can have (256 * 256 * 265 = 16,777,216) different addreses, each a different computer or terminal, on its lan. Not many people need that many! Using the second block a router can have (256 * 256 = 65,536) different addresses - still way more than most people need. But it doesn't matter much because these addresses are all on private LANs - on this side of the router. On the other side, the side that's connected to the internet, they are invalid addresses.

We use address masks to cut down on these enormous blocks. So if I have one of the first block, and I use a netmask of 255.255.0.0, I have cut the block down to the same size as the second block. We use a netmask of 255.255.255.0 to cut it down to just 256 possible addresses. We don't need to, it just makes things easier to deal with.

The value of "255" in the netmask basically means that it has to be the same as the base address. So if my router's base is 10.10.1.1 and my netmask is 255.255.0.0, then all of my IP addresses have to match the first two octets - they all have to be in the 10.10 range, but can be anything in the second pair of octets.

If my base address is 192.168.2.1 and my netmask is 255.255.255.0 then all of my addresses have to start with 192.168.2

So you can look at your router's base address, and your netmask, and you can figure out what static IP address ranges would be valid for your computer. Then you just pick one address that you want to use that's in the valid range.

Suppose your router's base address is 10.1.1.1 and your netmask is 255.255.0.0

You have an awful lot of possible addresses. Let's just pick 10.1.1.42 and use that. It's just a random, arbitrary address, but no one address is really any different from or any better than any other, and I just felt like using 42. I *could* have used 10.1.162.201 just as well, for the same reason or lack of reason.

Hi there!!

HELP!!! I've followed all the steps on how to set up port forwarding and static IP but it still isn't working. Please help. I'm using windows vista. I tried it in XP, won't work either. It must be really my router. It's Linksys wrt54G. Please help! Thanks!!! :D

You have at least one firewall blocking your listen port. That might or might not include the firewall on your router. Forwarding the port there will only take care of the router's firewall. You still have to find and configure any others you may have or that your provider may have you behind.

I don't know anything about computers. I have no idea how to go into the settings for firewalls if my computer even has one built in automatically. All I know is I'm using Windows XP and the port is blocked on bitcomet. I went through half the pages and I'm confused as h***.

Hi...I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer.

I followed all the steps and when I checked the port I'm using it said its status was OPEN ...which is good, but when I go into BitComet it's still yellow and says its blocked.

Any idea what I can do? The more in-depth instructions the better since I don't know my way around a computer well.

Thank-you for your help:)

Oh as for my information:

I'm using BitComet 0.89

My router is D-Link DI-524

Windows XP system

---

Oh and not sure if this information will help rule anything out but my sister just started using BitComet tonight (0.94 version) we have the same laptop model, same XP system and we run off the same wireless router (the whole family does) and she was not blocked and her speeds were around 260 KB/s

---

Edit:

It appears to be green now...weird. Just a question my downloads do not start automatically everything just sits there until I manually say start...any idea what that's about?

Hi,

As for the light now being green, its possible the test was unsuccessful when first attempted, but that doesn't mean you have a problem, just that the test didn't complete. Consider a "green" light to mean there is no problem, and "yellow" or "gray" to mean you MAY have a problem. You would need to look further to determine.

As for the need to manually start your torrents, I think this is a good thing, but there is a setting to have them start automatically. I think some versions had a problem with this setting, so I recommend you update to our current version, unless you have a specific reason to want to use an older version.

No, there is no need to port forward your laptop.

You might want to setup a static IP address for your laptop though. Although I have never had this problem myself, I have had reports that if you boot up your laptop (while other computer is offline), some routers may allow it to use the ip address assigned to your other computer, which could cause a problem when you then start it.

I cannot say if this problem would effect your system or not, but it only takes a couple minutes to set the static IP address, just make sure your other computer is already on its static ip before you set your laptop.

Suspect

Hey there

This reply post from suspect is what made me join the forum instead or "lurking". We were having major problems getting a speed above 5kbps... Despite making sure the ports were open and not in stealth, and creating static ip addresses for the firewall, our speed barely went higher than 5kbps regularly...Our ISP raised our speed from 2mb to 8mb though on speed tests it showed as 6mb on a regular basis. We have 2 PC's and one router...our ISP won't allow us to set a proper static IP address but using the routers firewall we created rules for the 192.... addy....Now on a regular basis the end numbers go from 01 to 05...so I created rules on the main PC for addies 01-05 the routers addy being 01 every time...and only ENABLED the one which my ipconfig advised me of on a daily basis for the main pc...for instance yesterday it was 192.***.03 and our other secondary pc ended with 04 but today our addys were 02 on the primary pc and 03 on the secondary one...I went in changed the firewall rules to allow the main pc to let Bitcomet through on 02...If I ENABLE any other number on the rules I've created it results in port CLOSED. If I enable only the addy the main PC has picked up I get OPEN...and if I enable all the firewall rules for the addys 01-05, covering all basis it results in STEALTH mode. Soooo Here's the conclusion...

No matter what PC is started first at the beginning of the day I usually (not always ) have to shut both PC's down, unplug the router, Get the Secondary PC to start first, (this is never used for DLing at all) start the primary pc up...IPconfig to find out the addy the main PC has been allocated. Go to the online router firewall site. Ensure that the MAIN addy and only the main addy is ENABLED. Check on Shields up that my regular port is open, and BAM first time I tried this I got speeds of up to and just beyond 500kbsp...Don't ask me why this works, cos I haven't got a clue...Alls I know is I spent 2 weeks trying to figure out why our speed dropped when our ISP raised us from 2 - 8 (though it's really only 6mb) So Thanks to Suspect for letting us know what you heard about with regards to the lappy prob..My partner is a whizz with PC's but he was stumped...me I'm a useless dunce, but after I read this post and tried it and it worked, I thought, right time to stop lurking, join the forums and thank Suspect and everyone else for their problems and solutions alike.

If you guys have any clue as to why my PC is acting the way it is, then all comments welcome..Apart from if it's suffering from PMS, since thats what the other half thinks :D

And I hope my experience maybe helps someone somewhere :happy2:

This gets really confused. Starting with

our ISP won't allow us to set a proper static IP address

which indicates a profound misunderstanding. The ISP has nothing to say about it.

You must set up the WAN side of your router according to the ISP's instructions.

But what you do on the LAN side of the router is none of their business. And that's the side we're concerned with. Setting up static IP's between your computer and your router needs neither their knowledge nor their consent. For that matter, you don't even need to be using TCP/IP on your lan if you don't want to, so you might not even have IP addresses on it.

On the LAN side, the router's address may not be changeable. Some are, some aren't. There's usually no great reason to do so, and you'll have far more addresses available than you need. But it sounds like you're in the "a little knowledge" situation right now and may just need to study up some more.

When you connect a router to the modem, the router performs all of the functions that your computer used to perform when you hooked IT to the modem.

The computer used to get a dynamic IP address from the ISP. The router does that now.

The computer used to get DNS information from the ISP. The router does that now.

All of the data you send, is sent to the router. The router takes that info, re-casts it as its own, and sends it out to the internet. Replies come back to the router, which takes them and routes them to the correct computer as though they were its own answers.

As far as the outer world, including your ISP is concerned, there is only the router. They can't see WHAT is on the other side of it. Might be a single computer, might be a roomful, might be a large mainframe, but all they can see is the router. If the router acts right according to their rules and network setup, all's well.

They're not interested in what happens on the other side, and won't help you with it either. It's your LAN, you're on your own.

Hi.

I have another question. It seems that now I've set up the Static IP address....the green light is on which is good however my internet is really really slow when I have BitComet open, so I have to choose internet or downloading stuff. Does anyone know of any solution to this problem? I'd really appreciate it. Thank-you.

Yes, see our settings guide. The problem is common when you don't limit BitComet's upload rate. It will grab all of the upload bandwidth you have, squeezing out everything else and even slowing itself down.

• 2 weeks later...

When i go to portforward.com, my router isn't one of the selections I can choose. What should I do? Is there a subsitute I can use? I'm using a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller router. I'm using a laptop and I'm in China (using an American bought computer), if that is a factor in my problems or helps anyone.

Ok, Im having some MAJOR troubles here :angry:

Im no computer whizz but i can follow instructions - when im in the main bitcomet screen (whats downloading,uploading etc) on the bottom right of the screen it says my listen port is blocked, and to check my firewall and NAT router configurations.

So I started the process of getting a static IP address, using your guide.

I got to step 6.

"When you come to the step where it states "Please enter the static ip you want to forward to:" And it's 192.168.2.[space here] Input the last digit of your IP address into the space. The Static IP is the same IP Address as the one you saw in MS-DOS when you typed ipconfig/all "

the last digit of the static IP for me is 136 - but when i type this in the address bar and hit enter, it says the page cannot be displayed.

strangely enough, when i put in only a .1 instead of .136, it comes up with up with

CONNECT TO 192.XXX.X.X

NETGEAR DG834GT

USER NAME

PASSWORD

Ok, so I put in admin as user name and password as password, and it doesnt do ANYTHING at all!

god im so stuck i dont know what to do any more - please help! (in plain english lol)

Hello

I am a regular bitcomet user for over a year, i love the software and i recommend it to all my friends, but i am having difficulties removing the yellow light down the status bar...i am using a preconfigured 4-ports Paradyne 6212-A2-302 DSL router with a humble speed of 512 Kbps up/128 Kbps down...i cannot access my router since it is preconfigured by my ISP, resetting the device is not a choice...Is there any way that i can configure Port Forwarding So i can have the full benefits of Bitcomet???

thank you in advance.

hi,

I have a gray light status(port listen). I have done everything i know from reading the forums. I am very certain that i am using a modem and not a router. Coz i had to buy an additional router to set up wireless. Now i don use the router, only the modem. I just upgraded from 0.7 to 0.96 Bit Comet.

I have checked if my port is open via https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 and its say open.

I have created 2 sets of TCP/UDP ports 1)For BitComet 1)For E-Donkey Plugin

I have checked Undnp and bitcomet TCP/UDP in The windows firewall exceptions.

I have gone to ADD OR REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENT in networking services, details to install Undnp and p2p networking. I practically checked everything and install

I suddenly received yellow status then it went back to gray after few hours. My download speed when it was yellow (350Kbs), gray (20Kbs)MAX.

Before doing all of the above

When i go run,cmd,ipconfig... i only had IP ADDRESS,Subnet MasK and Default Gateway.

Now i have ip Address, Subnet mask, ip address(again but sime random fe80::213:72ff:fe06:21f8%4)then default gateway..My gateway had a .1 at the end, which is strange coz its not a router.

plus after a line i have Tunnel adapter Teredo tunneling Pseudo -Interface

Tunnel adapter 6to4 Teredo tunneling Pseudo -Interface

Tunnel adapter automatic Teredo tunneling Pseudo -Interface

Have i just screwed my com. Please Help. Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help provided.

I seem to have the same problems as a few others here in that while I followed most of the steps to the T (see why most below) I still get:

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

I tripled checked all the steps, and as far as I am aware (and I am no expert but I'm pretty sure that) the only firewall I have is the one that comes with Windows XP and I told my 2wire router to chill :-)

The only thing I don't understand is step 6. : When you come to the step where it states "Please enter the static ip you want to forward to:" And it's 192.168.2.[space here] Input the last digit of your IP address into the space. The Static IP is the same IP Address as the one you saw in MS-DOS when you typed ipconfig/all

I am never prompted with the "Please enter...." I'm not even sure where that's supposed to come up. Could this be my problem? I'm stuck and frustrated... although I am getting decent speeds...occasionally hitting the triple digits so I guess I have nothing to complain about, although after I installed a version of iolo System Mechanic, my computer would get the blue screen and restart... I still don't know why but the problem stopped when I uninstalled it. Wierd. If you can help me, my gf will bear your children!

You must choose and set a static IP in your windows network TCP/IP properties. It will offer you a choice of obtaining an IP address automatically, or of using the following IP address, gateway, dns servers, etc. You must choose the latter and set all those options, in order to have a static IP address, as explained at portforward.com. You pick the address you want to use subject to the constraints of your router. This is the address you then enter.

hi everybody, im new here. anyway i cant locate my router in this website. im using the router Dlink DWL G730. so erm can i still do this port forwarding thing? erm im not exactly a tech whiz so step by step help will be appreciated. thanks a lot! =) sorry if im posting this in the wrong topic.

Hello,

I hve followed your fine instructions on setting up WAN and Listen ports etc., and am now getting download speeds of 10-12kB/s, which is not very fast. Can you suggest how to improve this further,

Many Thanks,

Bill.