To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

• 3 weeks later...

hey man i am also a beginner . i cant find my lan card router i.e. Realtek either or via onboard router on the portforward site pls help

these are my two lan cards

1 VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

2 Realtek Rtl-8139d PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

i do have a static ip but cant forward by port.

ayasamodh, a router is a largish box of electronics, about the size of a hardback book, that you would have had to buy separately, plug in between your modem and your computer (through one or the other of those LAN cards) and configure yourself because ISP's won't help you set up routers. No computer comes with one. So if you had a router you'd probably know it. No router, therefore no built-in firmware firewall in that router, and port forwarding is only about getting through such a firewall.

ayasamodh, a router is a largish box of electronics, about the size of a hardback book, that you would have had to buy separately, plug in between your modem and your computer (through one or the other of those LAN cards) and configure yourself because ISP's won't help you set up routers. No computer comes with one. So if you had a router you'd probably know it. No router, therefore no built-in firmware firewall in that router, and port forwarding is only about getting through such a firewall.

then how come i was getting 50kBps one day and after that i am not getting speed is it that i suppose my dth is corrupt? pls tell me a solution why is this heppening . i am seeing peers but cant connect to them also i can connect only to local peers

Most routers have a firmware firewall built in to them. But they're not the only firewalls, or even the only sort of firewalls out there.

More common is the software firewall, a program that runs on your computer. WinXP has a built-in firewall, and if you've installed SP2, it is active by default. There are also many others, and many "security suites" also include software firewalls.

So just because you don't have a router and it's firewall to sort, does not mean that you don't have any firewalls that you have to sort. But you don't fix those by port-forwarding. You do it by making rules for them.

It is, btw, a waste of resources to use more than one firewall, and it will give you management headaches too. So it's best to decide on just one, and uninstall or deactivate the others.

BitComet needs unsolicited traffic coming in on its listen port. This means that you need to tell the firewall not to block that port. Telling it to let BitComet have access to the network is necessary but is not the same thing and is not enough.

Once you have done that, test your listen port at www.canyouseeme.org. If it reports anything except that the port is open, then it is being blocked. You may have another software firewall, and possibly one you don't know about, blocking it. You may yourself be behind a router you don't control, and if that's the case you won't be able to get the port open. You'll need to determine this.

1.> yeah i have configured my xp sp2 firewall to block all except some ports i.e. my listening port but still this site shows that my port is blocked wats the reason , i mean with the same settings i was getting speed but now i don't ?

2.> how to open a port?

3.> i have put a port in the exceptions list but it is not open?

If you're going to use the XP SP-2 firewall and only this firewall it's really easy to do, let BitComet do the work for you:

1. Make sure Windows Firewall is set to allow exceptions.
  2. In the Windows Firewall, delete all the rules you made for BitComet.
  3. Go into BitComet, at the top open Opions > preferences > Advanced > Connection. Here you need to turn some the settings
    • "Enable NAT/Firewall configuration in ICS/ICF (Windows XP Only)"
    • "Remove on port on NAT/Firewall when exsiting (Windows XP Only)"

Restart BitComet and everything should be fine.

If you're going to use the XP SP-2 firewall and only this firewall it's really easy to do, let BitComet do the work for you:

1. Make sure Windows Firewall is set to allow exceptions.
  2. In the Windows Firewall, delete all the rules you made for BitComet.
  3. Go into BitComet, at the top open Opions > preferences > Advanced > Connection. Here you need to turn some the settings
    • "Enable NAT/Firewall configuration in ICS/ICF (Windows XP Only)"
    • "Remove on port on NAT/Firewall when exsiting (Windows XP Only)"

Restart BitComet and everything should be fine.

i have tried this but to no effect

with azerous i get atleast 3 kbps but with bitcommet hardly 1 kbps wheras while downloading the same file a day before this happened it was downloading at 25kbps

there is another thing i wanted to say to u, when connected to the net i see a blue comp in the tray when becomes blaqck when only using bitcommet which means bitcommet might not be utilising my net at all , is sometnhg preventing it?

A screenshot would be helpful to confirm this, but if you're talking about your network connection icon (mouse over it to see), then yes, when it turns black nothing's using it, so BC is being blocked from using the network.

The usual cause of that is a software firewall that has not been told to allow BC to connect, and so blocks it. If you followed Dark Shroud's configuration steps above (hmm, and you are using XP SP2, though you never said), the Windows firewall should be taken care of. So it's likely to be another software firewall, possibly one you're not even aware that you have.

Many "security suites" include a firewall, without making it clear enough that they do. You'll need to look for something like this running on your machine, and deal with it.

A screenshot would be helpful to confirm this, but if you're talking about your network connection icon (mouse over it to see), then yes, when it turns black nothing's using it, so BC is being blocked from using the network.

The usual cause of that is a software firewall that has not been told to allow BC to connect, and so blocks it. If you followed Dark Shroud's configuration steps above (hmm, and you are using XP SP2, though you never said), the Windows firewall should be taken care of. So it's likely to be another software firewall, possibly one you're not even aware that you have.

Many "security suites" include a firewall, without making it clear enough that they do. You'll need to look for something like this running on your machine, and deal with it.

believe me i am using the same settings i was using when i used to get 50kbps

look i am reapeating i was getting 50kbps speed ok, then the very next day it somehow reduced to 25-30 kbps and now it is as low as 2kbps

i am using same settings even the same torrent american pie 5 naked mile

I'm trying to figure out if my modem is also a router. My IP address and Default Gateway reads the same except my IP address has two extra digits.

IP address is xxx.xxx.x.100

Default Gateway is xxx.xxx.x.1

So I'm not sure if my IP address and Default Gateway are exactly the same. Right now, I'm leaning towards that it is different because of the two extra 0. I just need some clarification

When you start downloading a torrent, your IP address and listen port are sent to the tracker, which includes you in the list of swarm members that it sends out when scraped. Others get that list and some of them try to initiate a connection with you at that IP address and listen port. They can't if anything is blocking the port.

You can tell that this is happening (but not why) if all of your peer connections are initiated as LOCAL or NAT and none of them are REMOTE. This makes things simple. If you've got REMOTEs, then you're probably doing as well as this swarm allows. No REMOTEs, you've almost certainly got firewall problems. What used to happen isn't really relevant to what's happening now -- which is that others can't initiate contact with you.

If you change or add a firewall, the port will be closed by default. If you change application versions, many firewalls won't recognize the new version, and they'll treat it as a new application that doesn't have permission to access the internet.

We can suggest things like this that might cause your port to be blocked, but only you are sitting at the computer and able to investigate. If your speeds are now much slower, it's clear that something must have changed. But only you have the ability to find out what that is.

est85, why don't you simply consult the manual?

The only reason that it would be an issue at all, is if it has a built-in firewall. If it does, the manual will certainly tell you how to configure it and Portforward.com will probably have it listed by make and model, with instructions o how to configure it for many applications. So if the manual is silent on the subject you can be confident that it doesn't have one.

An even easier way to tell is to just look at the modem itself. Since a router is used to connect multiple computers together, the device would have to have multiple ethernet output jacks for those multiple machines to plug in to. If it's only got one, you know it's not a router.

Hi I have been reading and solve my port problem and got remote giving decent speed.

However, the next day my port 60000 become stealth again and i did not change anything after getting port 60000 to open status. Now back to slow speed again.

I do not understand it. Why? Can anyone tell me?

The usual reason is failure to set a static IP for your computer. Lots of people think they can ignore this. They can't.

When you set up a forwarding rule, you must give it the port number, and you must give it the IP address of the computer you want that port opened for. If that computer has a dynamic IP, then it can and will change without any notice to you. When it changes, that forwarding rule doesn't change with it, so the port's no longer being forwarded to your computer's IP: it's being forwarded to the old IP that it USED to have.

Sup all, i am new to all this torrent stuff and i am not a tech wiz at all(hoping to learn though) so i have some questions

lately i have been trying to download an old game and i have downloaded it for about 1-3 days already with a download speed of 0-5kbps(usually its 0kbps) i have read the speed guide and have done everything written in it, however i was wondering about this portforwarding and static ip thing, i am using a DSL, which i think is not a router(i did ipconfig in cmd and both the ip address and default gateway gave the same values except the last number, which in this case was 3 for the ip address and 1 for the default gateway).

So i am wondering if this portforwarding will actually help someone who isnt using a router?

Also i checked grc.com's shield's up program and found out that the port i am using is currently stealthed.. is stealthed the same as open but it is protected or should it be open to get optimum speed?

Lastly, my upload speed is always higher then my download speed.. Normally, my upload speed reaches 10-20 kbps while my download speed will either be 0 or slightly higher.. Is this normal?

Thanks for your time..

Wrong forum for this. As it says in the FAQ, if you don't have a router then port-forwarding doesn't apply to you at all. What you're doing is forwarding a listen port through an external firewall. No router, no external firewall, so nothing to forward a port through. The rest of this should be in the BitComet Client Help forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I've been reading the guide from soraya on how to forward the ports to run bitcomet properly. My problem is that i'm behind two routers, one that connects to the internet(huawei smartAX MT882, wich only as one ethernet port and a usb slot) and also to the other router that distributes internet for all pc's in my network(it's an smc7004vbr). if I only connect my computer to the net with the huawei router I am able to open the ports, however, when I conect the huawei to the smc i am no longer capable to open the ports... does anyone knows how to open the ports behind these two? Please tell me if you know!

This is actually quite easy, if you keep your mind right and configure one thing at a time.

You need to set up the second router, the SMC, to have a static IP vis-a-vis the first router (the smartAX). You need to forward the listen port through the smartAX's firewall, to the SMC.

Write down the IP address of the smartAX -- the one you use to configure it. That SHOULD be 192.168.1.1 but consult your manual and use the one it tells you. We'll call this address IP-AX, so label it that way.

At the end, you will need to set up your computer with a static IP address, of, say, 192.168.2.2, which we'll call IP-PC. Write that one down and label it too.

Next, set up the SMC router exactly as you set up the computer -- give it a static IP (the router itself) within the smartAX's routing range. Here you're setting up the SMC as though it were connecting to a fixed IP dsl connection. Give it an IP of 192.168.1.2, which we'll call IP-SMC

Give it a gateway address of IP-AX --that is the same as the one you wrote down in the last step-- a DNS IP address that is also IP-AX, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (There is no secondary DNS address, so leave that blank if it asks for one.)

On the smartAX, forward your chosen listen port to IP-SMC so the data passes through the smartAX's firewall and into the SMC. Forward it for both TCP and UDP traffic, which on the smartAX means that you'll have to make TWO rules, one for each*.

Now, connect your cable to the SMC so you can configure it. Here, you're working with a so-called "Virtual Server", but it doesn't matter what they call it, it's the same thing. Forward the listen port to IP-PC. Again, you want two rules*, one for TCP and one for UDP. The data should now pass through the SMC's firewall and into your computer.

Last, set your computer up with the static IP-PC. That's really all there is to it.

*"Two rules" is based on the manuals I have access to. It says you have a choice of TCP or UDP, but not both in the same rule, hence the need for two rules. This isn't always so, and some firmware gives you a selection that includes "both", or "all". If that's the case for your router's firmware, you can select "both" or "all", and only need one rule.

Hello All -

I am having a similar problem as above - except that the second router is my ISP's. Here is the skinny - I have DSL and router, XP sp2, with bitcomet excepted. I have set up the static ip, and the port forwarding, but still transfering at about 10kb/s, and when I check if my listening port is open, it says no. I think the problem is this - when I check my IP via the command promp, I get one IP number (and use that to set up my static IP in the control panel) - but if I have canyouseeme.org or shields up! check my IP, I get a totally different number. I called my ISP, and they said they have a router that assings me another IP through their system, and can buy a static IP from them - What can I do about this?

thanks, Patrick

I'm pretty sure it is only your "Internal" IP address that needs to be static, however if your isp has you behind a router of their control, then you might need to upgrade your service to allow remote peers to see you.

I have never "personally" come across this problem, so I can't be certain regarding this advice.

I recommend you bypass your router/s that you have access to, then see if your listening port is open. This will tell you if it is your "local" router causing the inbound connections to be blocked, or one controlled by your ISP.

Suspect

When you connect your computer directly to the modem, it requests and gets an IP address from your provider.

But you're not doing that. You're connecting to a router. Now the *router* gets the IP address from your provider.

Your computer gets its IP address from the router.

When you access the internet, you do it through the router, which takes the requests from your computer (and all other computers connected to it, if any) and presents them to the internet as its own requests. Replies go back to the router, which distributes them to the computers that asked for them.

All that the internet as a whole can see, is that router. Nobody out there knows what's behind it. So when you ask a foreign website for your IP, then you get the *router*'s IP. When you ask IPCONFIG for your IP, you get the computer's IP which it got from the router. Two completely different IP's and two different devices.

Now, your router has a firewall. You need to make an exception rule for that firewall, and when you make the rule, the router will demand a specific IP address to open the port for. Your computer had better be AT that IP address or your listen port won't be open. But you've (normally) asked the router for a dynamic (and therefore changeable) IP address. When it does change, (without notice to you), then you're at the wrong IP and the router isn't forwarding the port to the IP you have now. So your computer needs a static, unchanging IP as far as the router is concerned.

This doesn't affect your provider or your internet connection at all. It's strictly your own internal subnetwork, created by adding in the router.

COMPUTER <- via static or dynamic IP, your choice --> ROUTER <-Dynamic IP as required by ISP--> INTERNET

It's the computer's IP that needs to be static.

Thank you for your very lucient explanation. I tried disconnecting my router, with no avail. And I've been through the process of setting up a static IP several times - it all looks fine, but I still get low (~30kb/s) rates. Any more ideas?