To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

How to Set up Portforwarding & Static IP Reply thread.

My ISP provides 64KB and it doesn't allow static IP. Therefore, I'm unable to do port forwarding. I have been downloading for the past 10 months with reasonable speed such as 20KB - 40KB depending on no. of seeds and peers. However, for the past 2 weeks, I experienced very slow download speed. Even with 4 or 5 seeds, I'm getting download speed of 0KB - 2KB per torrrent. I normally download 4 or 5 torrents simultaneously.

This is definitely something not right. I can't do port forwarding. As such, I enable the UPnP in the router and Windows XP SP2. I also allow exception in the Firewall for the port number that I used in Bitcomet. Nothing seems to help.

Whenever the download speed pick up to more than 10KB, it quickly died down to 0KB or 2KB.

When I download a non-torrent file (say 1MB - 20MB), the speed was good and sustainable at 35KB to 45KB.

I tried everything that I possibly know and I don't know what I missed out. I also tested the ports and sometimes it is open but sometimes it is stealth.

Please help me.

Thank you very much.

freddiecheong

Hello guys, I've already setup a static IP but when I test the port on the Shields UP site, they ALL come back as "stealth." I did try various ones starting with 57xxx and up but none of them came back open. I'm running XP SP2 and Bitcomet is an allowed site on the firewall and I'm at my wits end here, so your help is greatly appreciated!!

p.s. I don't know if it matters but I'm running Symantec Antivirus

i'm the same except i'm using zonealarm which apparently is a problem...?

how do i set the windows xp sp2 firewall as my default? if i do this and disable zonealarm, will my d/l speeds increase seeing as i've followed all the instructions regarding setting a static ip and forwading the pot. that all went fine but i'm still downloading a torrent which has over 12,000 seeds at an average spped of 3kbps over a period of 14 hours which has currently reached 47.9%. as you might have guessed i'm a little frustrated that it won't download faster. the fastest speed i've had on this particular torrent by the way is 21kbps. occaisionly it goes into spurts of around an hour of between 5-15kbps but this is rare. please help!!!

My ISP provides 64KB and it doesn't allow static IP. Therefore, I'm unable to do port forwarding.

Hi,

You can manually setup port forwarding in your router, but since you do not have a static IP address, you may have to change the setting when you reboot your computer, if you are going to run torrents that is.

It may sound like a pain, but you can check your current ip address and edit your router setting two minutes or less after you have done it a few times. If yoru router was completely Upnp compatible, then you might not have to, but I always disable this, and have never seen it work properly (I'm not saying it can't).

Suspect

I have login to my router, but I can't change the setting there. my router is linksys BEFSR41W. is any body know why?

I suggest you look at the guides on portforward.com, if you still are unable to edit your settings, contact linksys tech support. Chances are they have seen the problem and can tell you how to resolve.

Suspect

I suggest you look at the guides on portforward.com, if you still are unable to edit your settings, contact linksys tech support. Chances are they have seen the problem and can tell you how to resolve.

Suspect

I have 2 pc's on a home network, I have port forwarded my main pc, when i download to bitcomet on the 2nd pc I am connecting to zero seeds but lots of peers??? I am still reaching speeds of 140 kbs. why am I not connecting to seeds and how do I rectify? I would like to download "mainly" from this pc but not "only" from it. Should I port forward using the 2nd Pc's ip address?

Thanks

Kenster

Hello, I am completely new to this so apologies if this question seems simple. I also have 2 PCs connected via a Draytek router. I have port forwarded my desktop (UTP connection) which I use for downloading. I do not use my laptop (wireless) to use BitComet or download. Do I still need to port forward my laptop?

Thanks,

ian

No, there is no need to port forward your laptop.

You might want to setup a static IP address for your laptop though. Although I have never had this problem myself, I have had reports that if you boot up your laptop (while other computer is offline), some routers may allow it to use the ip address assigned to your other computer, which could cause a problem when you then start it.

I cannot say if this problem would effect your system or not, but it only takes a couple minutes to set the static IP address, just make sure your other computer is already on its static ip before you set your laptop.

Suspect

Many thanks - I will do that now. I have found the setup guides and config guides really useful on this site. I now have a download speed of c60k whereas before I was only getting c20k.

I have a 2Mb broadband line from BT but suspect that I am at the very edge of the circuit so performance isn't brilliant. Is c60k about right for this type of line?

Thanks again,

ian

well, your 2megabit download rate is equal to 256kBytes/s, however since bit torrent protocall gives the most download to the peers that upload the most, you could not expect to come close to this regularly unless you also had 2mb/s upload, which I'm sure you have much less.

So the simple answer is that your results are good for your connection.

You may come across torrents that are seeded by fast connections and expirence faster download, but not consistantly.

Suspect

well, your 2megabit download rate is equal to 256kBytes/s, however since bit torrent protocall gives the most download to the peers that upload the most, you could not expect to come close to this regularly unless you also had 2mb/s upload, which I'm sure you have much less.

So the simple answer is that your results are good for your connection.

You may come across torrents that are seeded by fast connections and expirence faster download, but not consistantly.

Suspect

Is there a reason why I'm only connecting to peers but zero seeds??? How can I resolve this problem?

Thanks

Kenster

If you connect to peers (that is people whom also have different parts of the file completed), it does not guarantee that you'll locate seeders (people with 100% of that file).

Usually this is a problem with old/out-dated torrents or those with trackers which no longer function, it isn't a software issue.

Solution? - Try another torrent / Activate DHT network (if u haven't done so) / add more trackers into the torrent.

P.s. Are you seeing any peers in your peer tab though?

Hey, i am new in here so i not really understand how it works.

I just install a wireless broadband router, Aztech WL730RT4. I not sure i need to do port forward or not. But i did the static ip and the dl speed don seem like working as fast as before. I went to checked the URL to find my router brand. But it did not appear there. So what should i do? Some advice plz... Thanks

Hey guys,

I also have the problem where it says my port is "stealth". What do I need to do to change it to open?

Cheers

Hi guys!

Same question here....

I followed all the instructions (Static Ip. port forward...)

I use a Linksys WRT54G .

my download rate is aprox 415 kBytes/s, and my upload rate is 40 kbytes/s (but I set a 36

I'm trying to download a video file.

for about 10-15 min my download rate went up to 165 kB/s and now I've got only 38 kB/s and my upload rate is still the same at 36 kb/s (which I believe is fine)

Hey, i am new in here so i not really understand how it works.

I just install a wireless broadband router, Aztech WL730RT4. I not sure i need to do port forward or not. But i did the static ip and the dl speed don seem like working as fast as before. I went to checked the URL to find my router brand. But it did not appear there. So what should i do? Some advice plz... Thanks

Your best option is to review the instructions for other routers of that same brand. Notice that the steps are very common, only the details are different. With your router manual in hand you shouldn't have much trouble figuring your way through it.

Hey guys,

I also have the problem where it says my port is "stealth". What do I need to do to change it to open?

Cheers

If you have a router, you will need to forward your listen port through its firewall.

Hi guys!

Same question here....

I followed all the instructions (Static Ip. port forward...)

I use a Linksys WRT54G .

my download rate is aprox 415 kBytes/s, and my upload rate is 40 kbytes/s (but I set a 36

I'm trying to download a video file.

for about 10-15 min my download rate went up to 165 kB/s and now I've got only 38 kB/s and my upload rate is still the same at 36 kb/s (which I believe is fine)

When you see a speed drop like that, you need to figure out why. The first thing to try is downloading the Open Office torrent and see what sort of speed you get and keep with it. If you see a similar speed drop, your ISP is likely to be throttling your connection. In that case, enable encryption in your settings under the Advanced section, and see if that helps.

If your listen port continues to test as closed, you probably have a firewall blocking it somewhere. Your router has a firmware firewall built in, but you may also be running one or more software firewalls such as the one built-in to Windows XP, and active by default with SP2 installed. You may have also installed other firewalls as part of a security suite. It only takes one to block the port, so make sure they're all set to allow incoming traffic on the listen port.

When you see a speed drop like that, you need to figure out why. The first thing to try is downloading the Open Office torrent and see what sort of speed you get and keep with it. If you see a similar speed drop, your ISP is likely to be throttling your connection. In that case, enable encryption in your settings under the Advanced section, and see if that helps.

If your listen port continues to test as closed, you probably have a firewall blocking it somewhere. Your router has a firmware firewall built in, but you may also be running one or more software firewalls such as the one built-in to Windows XP, and active by default with SP2 installed. You may have also installed other firewalls as part of a security suite. It only takes one to block the port, so make sure they're all set to allow incoming traffic on the listen port.

How would I go about doing that?

I followed all the instructions here correctly.

It's ultimately your responsibility to know what's running on your machine. You'll need to use Task Manager to get a list of running processes, and use google to learn what each one is and what it does -- and to make sure you want that done. This is also good for cleaning out old stuff you've installed and forgotten about.

It's ultimately your responsibility to know what's running on your machine. You'll need to use Task Manager to get a list of running processes, and use google to learn what each one is and what it does -- and to make sure you want that done. This is also good for cleaning out old stuff you've installed and forgotten about.

I am trying to BT (download) some files using BitComet, I've followed the instructions and changed my IP to an 'static' address, setup the listening port to 65529 (and I've also tried others too) in BitComet, and also enabled the port forwarding in my Linksys router setup...however, the port is still in 'close' status, and BitComet shows only 8kb of download rate...and I'm sure that there's no firewall running with my machine (other than the build-in one with Linksys, and I've turn off "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" as shown in the instructions)....anyone can help me out here?? what else can I try??

Try temporarily connecting directly to the modem, bypassing the router (you'll probably need to reconfigure your network settings for DHCP to get this to work) and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then the problem was the router and you haven't done your forwarding correctly. If it does not, then you still have a firewall blocking the port, and you will have to track it down.

Hello,

the guides are really great, thnx!

I only have one problem. I have a router US-robotics 8054. I follewed the screen for a virtual server, but then it says i have to put in a public port and a privete port. What do i have to put in there?

I thought privete a random for yourself and public the one BitComet uses?

Please help! I upload a lot but download is slow:(

Sincer,

Gibsinon

The public port is the one you want everyone to communicate with you on. The private port is the one you want your (nominal) server to be listening on. In most cases, including this one, they're the same. Set both numbers to your BC listen port.