To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration ×
Comet Forums
To block spammers, this forum has suspended new user registration

LAST PERSON TO POST WINS!

corzova

a decade ago most used WEP encryption which can be defeated pretty easy, but newer wifi encryption isn't so easy except for those that use dumb passords that are easily guessed by "brute force" bots, also IP scanners that look for lans that don't broadcast their existence.

Well, to be honest, I cracked around 4 WIFIs from my neighborhood because they were using WEP.

Others, like 3 in number, were secured with WPA/WPA2, and I used the guessing method.

The only thing I'll say about this is I hope you respected their privacy by staying out of their computers,

I was once given a router for free and like an idiot I assumed it my light was green because uPnP was working, but the idiot before me had the ethernet port 1 on DMZ, and some hacker said he was looking for someone to hack and saw I was sharing hundreds of torrents so out of respect he warned me that angry IP scanner found my lan lol so as soon as I took it out of DMZ and setup portforwarding I stopped getting his txt files in my torrent download folder lol

He also complemented my taste in music and star trek lol

Yup. It's the only one that works the geographical area where I live, unfortunately.

That sucks. I am sorry for you.. But how exactly do you define bad? I mean, the connection is poor or the transmission is bad (regarding the TV) ?

@UnUsual, I remember when I broke into my primary school's PC through WIFI. I managed to delete some files with grades (I guess), and I left a message with: I HACKED YOU :D :D :D

Anyway, I'll follow your advice. I don't want the owners to change their passwords. :) I also hope they won't be configuring the router soon, because I reserved an IP address for my PC and a special port for BitComet :P

Edited by GandalfTheWizard (see edit history)

That sucks. I am sorry for you.. But how exactly do you define bad? I mean, the connection is poor or the transmission is bad (regarding the TV) ?

Let's see... I'm signed up for "up to" (I hate that sneaky clause...implemented after everyone first signed up) 10 Mb, but am lucky if, on any given day and hour, I'm able to receive 1 Mb (as download speed... upload is about 24 KB)... Movistar refuses to dig up the fiber optic (which is already sitting beneath my sidewalk) and prefers to keep using the prehistoric copper wiring that hangs from pole to pole (and has been there for Who-knows-how-long).

For the "package" that includes landline, mobile line (actual phone not provided by them), ADSL and TV (all but 5 channels that Movistar offers are already free/open to anyone that has a regular exterior antenna/TDT) through a cheap satellite dish (because they refuse to use the fiber optic in my neighbourhood) - called "Fusión" - it costs me approximately 68 Euros per month (and I don't even use the landline that often (meaning no long-distance/overseas calls) ). Whereas my friends who live about 6-8 kilometres away (closer to the city... I'm in the suburbs), receive 100 Mb fibre optic for the same options that I get (their TV goes throught the fiber optic cable, instead of a satellite dish) ... and they pay about 3-5 Euros less than I do... :angry: :angry:

PS - Their contract is exactly the same as mine, but since they live a little bit closer to the heart of the city, they're given the option to receive fibre optic, instead of the copper ...at the same price (supossedly)...

Oh, I have... a lot of them during the last 21 years and have even taken them to a Consumer & Users' Organization (Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios)... but it just falls on (Movistar's) deaf ears.

The OCU has even taken them to court (there are many other users that have done the same, trust me) for "abusive practices" and "abusive fees", but all that happens is that Movistar pays the fines (if there are any) and continues to do as it pleases. It has always done what it has wanted when it was a monopoly and it still does. It peeves me off to no end. :angry:

Ok..

I really can't understand how some people like those from Moviestar are so greed and rude at the same time. 68 EUR for an extremly poor connection?

In my country, we pay up to 30-40 EUR and we get TV, landline and 100MBps internet (which can reach up to 30 MB/s). But the internet is the most important thing. TV is just some 'desert' which comes within the package, and instead of landlines, we use cell phones. The simple package internet + TV costs up to 22 EUR (as far as I know).

...we pay up to 30-40 EUR and we get TV, landline and 100MBps internet (which can reach up to 30 MB/s)...

Actually your internet speed is 100mbps not 100mBps, the lower case "b" represents "bits" and the upper case "B" represents Bytes. 8 bits = 1 Byte. All internet providers advertise using "bits" so the number is larger and look/sounds like more data, but it only confuses people because the smallest data size used by an operating system is a Byte, but it takes 8 bits to make one.

I mean.. There is a difference between mbps and MBps, right?

Right... like TUUS stated, 8 Megabits per second (Mbps) are needed, in order to make up 1 MegaByte per second (MBps)... and although practically all programs use MB/s, ISPs prefer to advertise the speeds for their connections as Mb/s, as this makes them sound much "larger/faster" than they really are. As a matter of fact, most people only listen to the "mega" part of the speed offered, without realizing that they are talking about bits and not bytes... sneaky, but legal...(caveat emptor!)

• Like 1

Both of them. Besides that, she speaks fluent english and she's a good entertainer. Also, she doesn't seem to filter the content she's exposed to; I mean, she doesn't have the wisdom to decide if something is good/bad --- that's just my opinion, I may be wrong -_-